The first Wednesday of the month is here, which means it's time for IWSG. If you're not familiar with this meme, it was started by Alex Cavanaugh. It's a group of writers who share their insecurities, encouraging words, and support with each other and our followers. If you'd like to join us, great! Click here for more information.
First, I'd like to mention I'm participating in the YA Faeries & Fantasy Giveaway Hop hosted by I Am A Reader. There's lots of great prizes to be had so be sure to check it out.
I’m starting 2014 on a positive note, so I have to admit I’m not feeling insecure. I’m feeling thankful and inspired and ready to jump into my writing with sleeves rolled up and fingers pecking happily away at the keys on my keyboard. My excitement has everything to do with selling my new adult novel Challenging Destiny to The Wild Rose Press, Black Rose Imprint. It’s an upper teen novel about a brother and sister who must outsmart both Heaven and Hell if they hope to remain human and avoid being pawns in a coming war. I know that’s a pretty vague recap of the book, but I just signed with them late December I’m not sure how much I can share at this time.
Since I’m feeling good, I decided to jot down a few goals for 2014. Last year was a hectic year for me. There was so much going on that I slacked when it came to meeting new writers, commenting on blog posts, and tackling my TBR list. I hope to change that in 2014. So here are my goals for this year:
- Visit as many blogs as I can the first Wednesday each month. Yes, it’s because of IWSG. When I first join this group I was good at hopping around and reading at least thirty posts. I want to get back to that.
- The rest of the month, visit at least seven blogs a week. That’s one a day. No matter how busy life gets, I should be able to do that.
- Last spring/summer I really slacked off on reading for pleasure, and I missed it. I don’t want that to happen again this year so I’m setting a goal to read two books a month. More if they’re quick reads.
- Revise the middle grade fantasy that I’ve been working on for years. This story always gets pushed to the side and I think it’s time I put it center stage.
- Write the contemporary YA novel that has been on my mind a lot the last two months. It’s a story I started a couple years ago, but never finished. I had a wow moment last month when I realized what was missing.
- If time permits, I’d love to write the NA novel I started last year. On that one, I had a scene stuck in my head that I just had to get on paper, which I did. But I never had time to hash out the characters and the plot. Right now, I have a scene I love just waiting to be inserted into a story. I’ve had enough time to figure out the plot and to get to know the characters (who like to remind me often that they are waiting for me to revisit them).
I might have to get Madison and her friends from Embrace to make me a time turner. I bet Isaac could find the spell in his handy grimoire.
That’s it for me today. Have you set goals? Any good news?
Congratulations on selling your book! That's a great accomplishment. And good luck with your writing goals- I too have book ideas/book projects from all different genres. It keeps me on my feet, I think!ReplyDelete
It either keeps us on our feet or up at night. Probably a little of both. =)Delete
Congrats on the book sale. From one ISW to another, you must be beyond happy. Happy 2014!ReplyDelete
I am SO excited about your news w/ Wild Rose Press!! Coangratulations. Once this winter thaws a smidge, we've got to get together for a nice, hot coffee! So many cool things to talk about. :)ReplyDelete
Definitely!! Hopefully the thaw comes soon.Delete
Congratulations on the book sale! I'm relatively new to IWSG - this month is my third post - but I really enjoy visiting so many new to me blogs and revisiting some I haven't stopped by in awhile. :)ReplyDelete
Thanks, and I'm glad you found your way to my blog. Welcome to the group!Delete
Congratulations on selling your story to that press! IWSG post day is a good day to visit a lot of blogs. I won't scare you with how many I visit that day...ReplyDelete
I think I've seen you in everyone one I visit. I don't know how you do it!Delete
Cherie, congrats on selling your story - that's awesome. I really like your goals, especially visiting 7 blogs a week - that is so manageable - if you do more, great.ReplyDelete
I'm going to try to. Thanks for the good wishes.Delete
Time turners would help us all!ReplyDelete
Congrats on your news!
I'm telling you, I'd be using it all the time.Delete
Yep, selling a story always takes away those insecurities -- at least for a while. Congratulations!ReplyDelete
It was exactly what I asked Santa for. =)Delete
I feel inspired too.ReplyDelete
You have a lot of projects in the hopper! I'm glad you're still basking in the glow of selling your book--congrats.ReplyDelete
Congratulations on selling your book!ReplyDelete
It looks like you have a busy year ahead of you.
For me, I need to finish revising a couple of novels and then I hope to begin querying.
Leanne ( http://readfaced.wordpress.com/ )