Friday, November 9, 2012

Feature & Follow #21



Feature & Follow is hosted by Alison of Alison and Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View. It's a fun way to make new friends and to interact with old ones. Click the links above to learn more and to join the fun. 


Q: Do you mind books with similar ideas to other books? Similar concepts, backgrounds, retellings or pulled-to-publish fanfic?


For me it really depends. I've read books that I can see overwhelming similarities to other books, but the characters are interesting or the plot has a unique twist so I keep reading. If a book is beautifully written, I'll keep reading just because I love the author's style of writing. I guess that's the key for me, if a book is intriguing and makes me want to follow the characters' journey then I'm going to keep reading. If a book tells the same story or the writing is bad then I'm going to put it down. It doesn't matter where the spark for the story came from.

What about you? 

11 comments:

  1. Old follower, great answer!
    bethartfromtheheart.blogspot.com
    Happy Reading!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really mind either as long as each book has a unique voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really think my answer to this question greatly depends on which book(s) I'm talking about- there's certain books that are so similar but because of their characters/ writing style, I absolutely love both. Thanks for stopping by my FF, old GFC follower!
    My #FF
    ~Caitlin :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does depend on whether there are fresh things in the midst. good answer.

    new follower
    http://itchingforbooks.blogspot.com/2012/11/feature-and-follow-25_9.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! But for me, the plot will always be more important than the writing <3

    Thanks for following! I followed back ^^

    - Kazhy @ My Library in the Making

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the same way- as long as there's something unique about a book, whether it's the characters, the writing style, or the plot, I don't mind coming across similar elements from other books.

    Old follower. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't mind. I suppose that's also why I enjoy many of the fairy tale retellings.
    There are probably a lot of original story ideas out there but I don't have any problem with reading one that is similar to another. I stop at outright plagerism (sp?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't mind either. If there's a fresh story with a new plot, new ideas, I'm pretty much good with it.
    Thanks for following/stopping by my blog!
    Just followed you :)

    Marissa @ http://www.fortheloveoffilmandnovels.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would be less inclined to pick up a book if I knew that it had a similar concept to something I already read. Especially if the book I read was outstanding. How could the other book compare? If I didn't like the book I read, then it's kind of up in the air. I might try it out to see if it's anything better. Or maybe I've decided that the concept was no good and pass on the new book.

    As for fan fiction pulled for publishing...when I read that this happens I die a little inside. I hope this doesn't become a popular trend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping by for the first time. I love the idea of Feature and Follow. I've not heard of this before. I'll have to include it in my Contest Circuit post on Monday!

    As for books with similar concepts, I'm with you - it depends on the author's style of writing and their characters. If the writing and characters win me over, I'm hooked regardless of how similar it may feel to other books. ;)

    ReplyDelete