Friday, November 11, 2016

10 Tips to Success

While there isn't a surefire formula aspiring writers can follow to ensure success, there are some things you can do to help you reach your goals. Below are ten tips I picked up over the years. Try one or try them all, I promise you can't go wrong.

Let't start with number ten and work our way backwards, shall we?

Click for Photo Credit
10. Read. Read. Have I said read?
  • Everything: the genre you love, best sellers, books outside your norm, magazines, newspapers.
  • Then read some more.
  • By reading you see how other authors put together complex plots, build worlds, and develop characters. You can also see how they use various techniques to hold readers' interest.
9.   Note what you like about your favorite novels and what you dislike about the books you put down. Now remember these things when you're working on your novel.

8.   Know the trends, and then avoid them and come up with a kick-butt idea of your own.

7.   Learn the rules… then dare to break them.

6.   Try everything at least once until you find the perfect fit for you.
  • Different genres, short stories, novels, screenplays.
  • Try outlining your stories before you start to write them.
  • Then try diving right in and being a pantser.
5.   Avoid negativity.
  • Instead of saying I can't say I'll find a way.
  • Don't let others tell you that something's impossible, because you can do anything you set your mind to.
  • Don't let anyone tell you an idea is stupid, write it down and show them they're wrong.
4.   Eat plenty of chocolate. Don't like chocolate, jelly bellies work too.

3.   Put yourself out there. Don't worry about rejection.
  • Use rejection as motivation.
  • Even Stephen King, J.K. Rowling, and Dr. Suess didn't sell their books to the first person they approached.

Click for photo credit


2.   Write with passion! Let's face it, anything worth doing should always be done with heart.

1.   Enjoy what you're doing. That is the biggest key to being successful in everything you do.


Remember, everyone's path to success is different so forge your own!



9 comments:

  1. Hot Tamales also work!
    Good to make a list of what you don't like. Be dumb to put those things in one's own book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about Hot Tamales. I'll have to pick some up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Good and Plenty girl myself. #3 Ahhhhhh #3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlie says, "Love that Good and Plenty." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I'm ready to take your advice and dive into the Hershey's chocolate. Oh wait. I'm supposed to be taking a sugar break. Blast it! But the rest of the list will work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm working on the "I'll find a way" message at the moment. I'm totally bogged down with a story at the moment. Thanks for the pep talk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tamara, I'm glad you found my tips helpful.
    Lee, anytime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips! I add 'a walk' into the mix, especially after the chocolate. Plus, it clears the mind :) Really enjoyed reading this post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete