Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Keeping Busy, an #IWSG Post



I'm taking a break from the Real or Fictional posts I've been sharing for ISWG. I'll share the last post in that series next week. For now, kick up your feet and follow Insecure Writer's Support Group as we share our thoughts, insecurities, and encouraging words. Thanks to Alex and our co-hosts for keeping IWSG going.



I think April showers have moved to May. At least in the northwest. But that's okay, because Mother Nature helped water my new planters and other plants. I actually look forward to this time of year, because I do some of my best plotting while doing yard work. 

Okay, sharing pictures isn't part of IWSG, but since these planters helped me figure out which novel to work on next and they brighten up the post, I'm including them.

As far as insecurities, they are there. I have a newly released book to continue marketing, one my agent is subbing, one she's reading, my standalone novel that needs some love, the list goes on. But things outside of writing have kept me too busy (slightly stressed) to worry about those things. My agent did give me a heads up that she enjoyed my new novel, which has helped as well. I've said it before, but I'll say it again, keeping busy is one of the best way to keep you from dwelling on the things your insecure about.


One more planter before I go. I named the dragon in this one Puff after one of my favorite dragons in a children's story. Anyone know which movie I'm talking about?

Did you get a ton of rain last month? Are you keeping busy? How's your writing coming? Any insecurities?

28 comments:

  1. Love the garden pics. It's been raining like crazy in the south-west of BC. Funny that. And I agree that April showers are late this year. I'm also glad your agent loves your new book -- to me that would be high pressure until I heard one way or another. :-)

    Anna from Elements of Writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to wait to hear back. It was nice she that she kept me posted.

      Delete
  2. Keeping busy and staying productive is the best way to keep the mind from wandering and worrying.
    Would you like to come work on my yard next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have so much to do in my backyard, I may be singing a different tune by July. =)

      Delete
  3. You've got many irons in the fire and your flowers look beautiful! I like how you have a fantasy element in your garden.

    We have had some cloudy, dreary weather of late in Ohio. The downside is that the outdoor pool where I train is freezing. The upside is I can keep my windows open to air out the fumes from my new carpet. :-) But it's supposed to be in the 80s for the next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to have the windows open is always nice. As is new carpet. =)

      Delete
  4. Ooh pretty! I envision planters like that, but I mostly grow stuff like basil and tomatoes and peppers. Flowers are not my green thumb, but I do like looking at them if someone else does the work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On year I am going to have herbs. I keep saying this, someday it will happen.

      Delete
  5. What beautiful planters. Love Puff. I should hire you to do some planters for me. :) Break a pen with all the books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your planters, I have to get going in my gardens! Good luck on marketing your book, I don't like that part, but it's necessary. And sounds like you're very busy with more books coming out soon. I hope your agent finds a house for your ms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your planters and its so nice that they helped you decide which book to work on next. I am trying to keep myself busy.


    Rachna Chhabria
    Co-host IWSG
    Rachna's Scriptorium

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have some direction. Now I just need to get my but back in my chair, but it's so nice outside it's hard to want to stay inside.

      Delete
  8. Goes to show anything can help with a book, they are awesome looking planters too

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have too many books swirling around, too. Way too much to be insecure about! But I love the planters. We moved into a new house and the previous owner left all their planters here--filled with dead plants. I'm not much of a gardener, so I have to figure out what the heck sized plants I need to go in those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some stores have ready-made, drop-in planters. Those are great when you want to keep things simple. Good luck with your writing and planters.

      Delete
  10. The pictures are pretty! I'm curious as to how they inspired you.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the quiet time that allows my mind to wander, and it always wanders to story ideas. So as I'm planting or weeding I'm thinking about what might happen if my characters did this or that.

      Delete
  11. I love the planters, especially the gargoyle! It's great that you have so many things in the works! Good luck with novel on sub!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, keeping busy keeps the insecurities away.
    Your planters are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful planters! It's been raining a lot here in Oregon (as always). I get inspired by gardening and being out in nature too. It's so peaceful and helps me think.
    Good luck with your sub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I couldn't be the only one. It's been on and off rain here. I won't complain, since the plants need the water.

      Delete
  14. I gotta say you're right on the keeping busy advice. I am currently cooking up a storm. Although...maybe gardening would be better calorie-wise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But cooking leaves you with lots of yummy things to nibble on as you write. =)

      Delete
  15. I wish we could get some of that rain. It clouds up, the air gets heavy, and then passes on to somewhere else. It rained last night during the graduation ceremony though. Figures, huh? Careful what you wish for, lol.

    Love the planters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be how it is. Seems to be beautiful during the work week here, and then rains on the weekend.

      Delete