Tuesday, April 23, 2013

SPC Literary Festival

Last week I had the pleasure of being a part of the Southwest Prairie Conference Literary Festival. (Yep, it’s a mouthful J.) The committee and the sponsors of this event did a wonderful job putting together an exciting day for the students. What I love about this festival is that the schools encourage teens to write and to never stop writing. Go SPC for inspiring interestd students to keep writing!

The conference started at nine with Welcome Introductions. Then I was up. The students seemed to enjoy my keynote speech. They listened, laughed, and had a good time with some fun questions I threw in to keep things entertaining.

Next up were the workshops. There were six to choose from. Mine was on plot and it went well, although I have some great ideas on how to make this workshop more interactive in the future. You know what they say about hindsight.

After workshops and some brainstorming, it was time for awards. Attendees had submitted entries in various categories. It was great to see the excitement on the faces of the winners and their classmates. Congrats to all who received an award!

Thanks Minooka H.S. for the photo!

I had planned on sharing fun pictures from the event, but my camera failed me so instead all I have is a great pic of  Mr. Torres and his lovely assistants getting ready to hand out the awards and a pic of the really cool bag I got (below).


The day flew by and before I knew it the students were boarding the buses back to their schools and the conference organizer was thanking us authors for all our hard work and sending us on our way.

I’d like to thank SPC for having me. I had a great time.

4 comments:

  1. What fun to present to kids! Glad it went well. I meant to tell you I applied to the Printers Row Lit Fest but didn't get in this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to present and chat with them.

      Sorry about PRLF. As you know, I had a good time at Printer's Row last year. It's always fun to meet readers.

      Delete
  2. Oh goody - I was hoping you'd post about this. But I'll still want more details next time we get together. So happy to hear the Keynote went well! This conference really is a cool idea. I wish there was a writing event like this for my kids through their school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree. It's great to see so many teens excited about writing.

      Delete