Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Inspiration Behind Damned When I Didn't



Romance is all about relationships: the good, the bad, and the awkward, and there is no one more awkward than an eighteen-year-old virgin thrown into the life of a succubus. And that’s exactly what happens to my kind-hearted protagonist Avery Williams in Damned When I Didn’t.
 
Now, for those who don’t know, a succubus is a female demon who survives by having intimate relationships with humans. Normally, the steamier the better. But we have to cut Avery some slack. She is a teenager, and this is a young adult novel. Luckily, a long, meaningful kiss will sustain her for a few days. She’s paired with Cole, her Hell-assigned mentor, who must get her to ditch her mild manners, or they’ll both face Hell’s wrath.
 
I had a lot of fun writing this novel. The premise blossomed from my desire to write something that hasn’t been done already, which isn’t easy when there are so many amazing paranormal books. Well, I’ve never read or seen a YA book where the protagonist is a succubus. And then I thought, wouldn’t it be ironic if the succubus in my book was a virgin? How would that work? Why Hell? And how did she end up a succubus? Could she survive? Would she want to?

Discover the answer to these questions and more in the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment