Wednesday, June 7, 2017

It's a writer's life for me #IWSG




Hi, everyone.

It's time to share our thoughts, insecurities, and encouraging words. Thanks to Alex Cavanaugh and JH MoncrieffMadeline Mora-SummonteJen ChandlerMegan MorganHeather GardnNot a member? Want to know more about the group? Click here



The re-write of my upper middle-grade fantasy is done! A friend beta read the first 25-pages and I was super excited to get her feedback. I've already tweaked the pages. There wasn't much, which is great news. I may read the story one more time looking for sentences I can tighten up. Then I'm thinking of having this one go through a round of developmental edits. Or maybe DE-light. Is there such a thing? I recently signed up for Reedsy so I'll find out.




No matter if you write a story for yourself, your kids, to self-publish, or to publish traditionally, this quote is true. The only way you fail is if you stop writing. Over the years, I've heard agents, editors and authors say it takes a combination of skill, persistence, and luck to be successful as a writer and not always in that order. I think of this when writer's block hits or when an editor passes on one of my projects. This brings me to this month's questions.

Question of the month:
Did you ever say “I quit”? If so, what happened to make you come back to writing?

My answer: No I haven't. Writing a novel is hard work, but it is also thrilling and rewarding. I love the challenge of creating new characters, getting to know them, and becoming lost in their worlds. 

How about you? Have you quit? What made you come back?






24 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing your manuscript Cherie! YAY! I will never give up! Writers Rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! How exciting. There isn't much better than that stage where you're on the verge of sharing a writerly love, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finishing! Good luck with the developmental edits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has to feel good to get that rewrite done. Let other people look at it for a while while you relax a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan. Although, my idea of relaxing is plotting my next project.

      Delete
  5. Awesome! And you are going through Reedsy - very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been checking it out and think I will try it.

      Delete
  6. That's my motto: just keep going. It's not always easy. Thanks for the encouragement!

    Here's my IWSG June post: how to survive the 'little quits'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your motto. :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. LOVE the quote. It's so true! Got to play to win, right? Thanks for stopping by my blog and signing up for the tour, Cherie!! You're the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your fantasy edits! It's awesome that your friend wasn't able to find much. :)

    With Love,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on finishing! I hope you toasted with something bubbly and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for finishing the rewrite! It feels good to polish a manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good advice. I need to get back into the game. Maybe the Twitter Pitch party will get things going in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete