Thursday, May 9, 2013

One Mother of a Blog Bounce


When Nicki Elson suggested we do a blog post about how our mother, mother-figure, or a mother character either from our books or another book has supported or influenced our writing, I was in.

I’ve been blessed with amazing parents, and my mom has been a big influence on me all through my life, including in my writing. She really should get an award for her listening skills. She’s heard me talk about the writing process, the joys (a.k.a. stress) of querying, my ramblings while I brainstorm, my squeals over the phone when I called to tell her I sold my first book, and my excitement over readers’ feedback. Writing is a journey filled with bumps, road blocks, and triumphs. I know that whenever I’m starting to doubt my work or if I need to hear someone tell me my latest project doesn’t suck all I have to do is call her.

Below are just some of the ways she's inspired my writing:

If she hadn't indulged my wild imagination growing up, I may never have been able to create new characters with special abilities and weave together compelling stories.

If she hadn't taken the time to read the essays I was most excited to write when I was in school, I may never have developed a love for sharing my words which would have meant I would have never started writing and blogging and I wouldn't have met even half the wonderful people that I have.

If she had told me to get my head out of the clouds and back in reality, I may not have the imagination needed to write a novel.

If she hadn't picked me up when I fell, brushed off the dirt, and encouraged me to try again, I may have given up on my stories after the first dozen rejection letters.

Without my mom encouraging me to dream when I was young, I wouldn't be the person I am today. (Mom, if you're reading this, thanks for everything you do!)

Do you have a mother or a mother figured you’d like to honor, feel free to join in and write a post. If you share your link in the comment section, I’ll be share to hop over to your blog.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the amazing moms out there!


Click the link below to join the hop! 

12 comments:

  1. Such a great list, Cherie! Moms are the best for when we need to hear that we don't suck. And that encouragement your mom gave you to get up and try again comes in super handy in the writing world. Your mum sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fostering young writers' imaginations is an important role for moms! And we definitely need encouragement to persevere despite all the rejection we face in this world. Sounds like your mom has helped you become a good mom to your kids as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pic! So very true. I feel the same way about my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Encouraging you to dream--that says it all. <3

    ~JD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Cherie. Here, here for your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is a wonderful mom and an amazing woman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post! we all need to hear that reassurance from our moms even when we are moms ourselves I know I do. Your mom is awesome and so are you! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw....so perfect! I want to copy and send this to my mom (but it might be plagiarism since I'm going to pretend I wrote it, lol). Ssh...don't tell her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda, thanks!
    Kym, I won't tell. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't moms great? They have your back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds very interesting!
    i like the post very much keep it up
    Yah this blog is making a dfference. I love it.i like your post on
    Buy AC online

    ReplyDelete