Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Picking Your Next Writing Project



Aspiring authors have asked me how I decide what to work on next when new ideas keep popping into my head. Because I’m always working on something, new ideas end up on the back burner. This is good, because it gives me time to think about them. Some ideas come and go. Others stick around, reminding me that they are a story waiting to be told. Only, they do have to wait until I finish whatever it is I’m writing, be it a first draft or the revisions to another story. I use this time to get to know the characters who are merely a spark waiting to be explored. When I finally sit down and start writing this now familiar idea I have at least one scene pretty well played out in my mind. It ends up being my starting point to the journey into new lives and worlds, even if it’s not the first chapter of the book.

But what happens when more than one idea is speaking to me? Which story gets my attention?

The first thing I do is take out a few sheets of loose-leaf paper and I give each one a title. This is usually the basic plot point for an idea summed up in a word or two. When I’m done I have a separate sheet of paper for each potential story.

Next I write what I know about each of these ideas: genre, characters, what they are facing, what they must overcome, who their friends are, and as much about the MC as I can. Then I start to ask what if. I follow the guidelines I talked about in my previous post, Kick Start an Idea

Sometimes I find my stories overlap and I can combine them. Other times I realize that Story A is more developed in my mind and the best story to work on. And then there are the times I discover which story I’m most passionate about. How do I know? It’s the story that had me grabbing more paper because one sheet just wasn't enough. I know that it’s the story that is begging to be told now.

If you have any tips on how you decide what to work on, I’d love to hear them.


18 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your process. This is perfect for me, right now. I'm currently stalled between my sequel, another YA story, and a separate MG story. I need to move forward with one of them. Ugh...decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that I either have a gazillion ideas or I feel like I have none. But when i sit down, ready to work, there's always one voice that just starts talking to me and it is the very next story...
    You are so much more logical/methodical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as one voice is talking, then we writers are good to go :)

      Delete
  3. I love reading about the process of other writers. I have stacks of notebooks with my book ideas in them. Much like reading, it's whatever strikes me in the moment--that's what I work on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping a notebook is a great way to remember ideas. Thanks for sharing your process!

      Delete
  4. These are good thoughts on trying to zero in on one idea, not an easy task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They work for me, and I hope others find them helpful.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I think I have an ARC of your book. It came with a really cool letter. Excellent marketing strategy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm somewhat terrible at this. I have new ideas that pop up, I note them and think about them, try shoving them back so I can complete what I'm working on only to have said new shiney crank of the volume and want attention. It can be a bit of a circus for me lol!! No tips from me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good method! I haven't encountered this problem yet because I'd written two novels in a series and another novel before I found my publisher. But as soon as I finish the final book in my series I'll have to figure out what to work on next! I have an adult crime story started that I haven't come back to in a while, so that may be the one. Or, I might start a new YA. Possibilities, possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with a crime story. I love starting new projects. It's like meeting new friends and there's always research involved, so I'm always learning about new places or different beliefs.

      Delete
  8. I can see the book concept but I didn't like the movie so heres too a better book. The book is always better. Thanks for stopping by my blog returning the follow GFC and have a great weekend.
    Krista
    BookReviewClub

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your suggestions for picking the next story. Sometimes, I have what I think will be a *fantastic* idea, but as soon as I start jotting down a few notes I realize I don't have enough figured out about that world/character/plot to do the idea justice.

    I usually have a novel and short story going on at the same time. That way, if I'm bored and totally frustrated with one, I can take a break and do some writing on the other.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog -- just returned your follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having more than one project going at time is always nice. It gives you time to think about what you want to happen next in one WIP while you work on the other.

      Delete