Saturday, July 16, 2011

Don’t judge a book by its cover


I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said this over the years, especially to my boys. It’s great advice. But when it comes to finding new books to read, I’m guilty of doing just that. A great cover will catch my eye. It’s what makes me pick a book up and read the back cover or first page.

Lately, I’ve wondered how many incredible books I’ve missed out on reading because the cover didn’t grab me. I started to wonder how many people choose books by the cover. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the subject. How do you find new books to read?

3 comments:

  1. Um, guilty. ;) I've also read many a cruddy book because it had a nice cover. But there's no doubt about it, cover is one of the most important components of the marketing plan. Wish I would've been more adamant about that during the cover design phase of my book---it does a fine job of reflecting the story for those who've read it, but in my opinion does nothing to draw them in. But no worries---my cover is the exception to the Omnific collection. They've even got a few award winners in the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess - about half pick up a new book based on the cover, about half do it on the referral of a friend (regardless of cover). But the cover is HUGE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, so true. Some of my favorite books have been referrals.

    ReplyDelete